You can reach Himachal Pradesh by three means i.e. roadways, railways and airways.
There are three airports in Himachal namely Bhuntar airport in Kullu, Gaggal airport in Dharamshala and Jubarhatti in Shimla. One can enjoy immense scenic beauty of the Himalayas while travelling by air. There are a number of comfortable and regular flights to the region from Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai etc.
One can also approach Himachal through railways. Trains can be boarded from New Delhi to reach stations at Palampur or Shimla. The mesmerizing beauty of the curvaceous Himalayas can be witnessed through them.
Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) is established as the means of inter-state road transport in Himachal. HRTC buses move through most of the North Indian cities. Apart from them, there are many private bus services which lower the burden of tourist rush on HRTC and thereby providing nice facilities as well.
Following are the major tourist attractions along with their distance and time taken to reach from the country’s capital, that is – New Delhi
Distance – 370kms (from Delhi) Time taken – 8 hours 30 minutes
Air – the Jubarhatti airport is 23kms away from the Shimla town. A taxi can be hired easily from the airport.
Rail – Trains from varied cities in India reach Kalka from where one can get his/her ticket to an awesome journey by provided by mountain train to Shimla. It passes through 103 tunnels and provides beautiful visuals on the way. This rail track has also been declared a world heritage site by UNESCO.
Road – To visit Shimla through roadways there are a no. of regular buses from Delhi and Chandigarh. Luxury buses are also available from Delhi. Taxis are available for travelers to go by road.
On the way
– While travelling to Shimla, a number of luxury hotels can be found on the way and there is a restaurant and resort of HPTDC named Pinewood resorts in Barog. One can stop by and also dine there. Dharampur is another beautiful place where one can relax for a bit while enjoying the beauty of hills.
Distance – 520kms (from Delhi) Time taken– 10 hours 45 minutes
Air – Gaggal airport is 14kms away from Dharamshala. Flights from all over India are boarded and received therein.
Rail – Indian Railways connect Delhi to Pathankot and Pathankot to Kangra. Dharamshala is then 17kms away from Kangra by road.
Road – Direct regular buses as well as luxury coaches reach Dharamshala from Delhi and Chandigarh via Kiratpur and Una.
On the way
– On the way to Dharamshala, Kangra fort and Pong dam are the major places of interest. There are many temples including Chamunda Devi, Jwalamukhi, Chintpurni, Baijnath and Brijeshwari Devi which attract the devotees from all over India. The Dhauladhar resort is a place for travelers to stop by and dine.
Distance – 570kms (from Delhi) Time taken – approx. 12 hours
Air – Bhuntar airport is 50kms away from Manali. Taxis as well as buses are available from Bhuntar to Manali.
Rail – Joginder Nagar is the closest railway station at a distance of 165kms from Manali.
Road – Frequent Volvo and luxury bus services are available from Delhi to Manali.
On the way
– Govind Sagar in Bilaspur, Pandoh dam and Baglamukhi temple in Mandi are few places worth seeing while travelling to Manali. The Hill Top restaurant in Swarghat and The Lake View restaurant in Bilaspur can be used to freshen up a bit with good food and beverages on the way.
Distance – 485kms (from Delhi) Time taken – 14 hours
Air – Gaggal airport in Dharamshala is 135kms from Dalhousie.
Rail – Pathankot rail head is 80kms from the region.
– Buses and taxi both are available to reach Dalhousie from Delhi as well as from Chandigarh. The roads are smooth and the ride is pleasurable.On the way – Khajjiar is a beautiful spot in Chamba, 23kms away from Dalhousie. The Devdars can be visited on the way in order to relax a bit. Chamba is 56kms away from Dalhousie. There are many beautiful temples and museums in the town. The Iravati is a resting and meal point in Chamba for tourists.
Distance – 582kms (from Delhi) Time taken – Approx.: 20 hours.
Air – At a distance of 267 kms, Jubarhatti airport in Shimla is the closest one to Kalpa.
Rail – Station at Shimla being 244kms from Kalpa is the closest rail track.
Road – Kalpa can be visited by road either through Shimla – Rampur highway or through Manali- Rohtang pass – Kaza highway.
On the way
– Kaza is a beautiful cold desert 210kms away from Kalpa. The Hotel Kinner Kailash is an eating joint and a nice place to stay, on the way.
Distance – 780kms (from Delhi)
Time taken – Approx. 21 hours.
Air – 250kms away from Kaza is the Bhuntar airport from where taxi can be hired to Kaza.
Road – It can be approached through Shimla from May to October and from Manali from June to October.
On the way
– One can enjoy Kunzam pass’s beautiful scenery on the way to Kaza. The Spiti is an HPTDC resort for people to stay and dine on the way.
Distance – 300kms (from Delhi) Time taken – Approx. 5 hours
Air – Chandigarh airport is 70kms away from Kasauli, from where a cab can be hired easily uphill.
Rail – from Kalka station, one can board the mountain train to Dharampur from where Kasauli is quite approachable by bus or a cab.
Road – Through road, one has to change bus at Chandigarh to reach Dharampur and from Dharampur to reach Kasauli. Taxi service is also available.
On the way – Timber trail resort in Parwanoo also possesses Timber trail which is a joyride to the hills. The juice bar at Jabli by HPTDC is famous for Apple cider. One can also relax a bit at Pinewood resorts in Barog.